A Tier 4 Final engine equipped with a new Smart Power Control feature headlines a long list of updates in Doosan’s new DX255LC-5 excavator.
The 184-horsepower machine replaces the LC-3 and is powered by a Doosan DL06P diesel engine that has a high-pressure common-rail fuel delivery system and cooled exhaust gas recirculation. A diesel oxidation catalyst reduces particulate matter, and a selective catalyst reduction aftertreatment system reduces NOx.
In addition to four power modes, the machine features Doosan’s new Smart Power Control system. The system automatically reduces engine rpm during low workloads and matches hydraulic pump torque and engine response to the task at hand. In tandem these functions are able to prevent engine overload and, in Doosan’s testing, improve fuel efficiency between 3 and 7 percent.
To save fuel further, Doosan has added an auto-shutdown function to the machine, allowing operators to program the excavator to shutdown after being idle for a certain period of time.
Doosan has also improved the machine’s 7-inch LCD screen. The screen now lets operators see views of the jobsite right alongside realtime machine data, including the DEF gauge and fuel efficiency status. With the optional side-view camera, operators can view a split-screen view of the rear and side views.
The excavator also features the following minor improvements:
- Better visibility to jobsite through a new front window design
- Upgraded alternator delivers more power to electrical
- Improved anti-skid plates for safer engine access and overall improved accessibility to service points
- Auto belt tensioner, fan and air conditioning
- Relocated engine stop for easier access
The machine comes with a 3-year subscription to Doosan Telematics for remote monitoring of machine diagnostics including, location, uptime, fuel usage, error codes, engine and hydraulic temperatures and engine idle versus work time. The system also allows Doosan dealers to monitor machine status and alert customers whenever a problem is detected.
In addition to the side-view camera mentioned earlier, Doosan provides the following as factory-installed options on the DX255LC-5:
- Straight travel pedal, which allows the operator to travel in a straight line more easily
- Two-way auxiliary hydraulic pedal (in addition to joystick control)
- Diesel-powered coolant heater for cold starts
- Cab guarding for special applications
- Additional work lamps
- Rotate circuit hydraulic piping
- Intelligent floating boom