Part of the old Tappan Zee Bridge became destabilized during the opening ceremony for the new Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, creating “a potentially dangerous situation” and causing state officials to call off plans to open the new span, lohud reports.
“Given its proximity to the new completed span, out of an abundance of caution, motorists will remain in the current traffic configuration until a thorough evaluation by Tappan Zee Constructors is complete,” said Matthew Driscoll, executive director of the New York State Thruway Authority, according to the news agency. “The second span is finished and ready to open to traffic as soon as the Thruway Authority is assured there is no risk to the new span.”
The destabilization of the bridge on September 7 caused the Coast Guard to close the navigational channel under the bridge for a time, and the traffic shift to the new bridge was canceled.
“I believe some engineers from the construction company were very concerned about it,” said Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco, according to the news agency. He added that workers had been dismantling the old bridge since the new one opened in October 2017.
Details on the piece of the old bridge that became stabilized were not available at press time. Law enforcement boats were on the Hudson River investigating the problem.