While Congress searches for a new way to fund transportation projects, one New Jersey senator is offering an interesting solution.
Sen. Nicholas Scutari (D-N.J.) has proposed legalizing recreational marijuana and using taxes collected from its sales to pay for surface transportation in the state, the Associated Press reports.
Scutari suggests taking 70 percent of taxes collected on the substance and sending that portion directly to a transportation fund. The other 30 percent would be divided between drug enforcement and demand reduction (20 percent) and women’s health (10 percent).
According to the AP report, the proposition faces opposition by state Gov. Chris Christie.
What do you think? Should New Jersey legalize recreational marijuana and use the taxes toward transportation improvements? Why or why not?