Hawaiian officials plan to change weight limit restrictions for bridges on the islands of Hawaii, Maui, Oahu, and Kauai after reassessing how it calculates bridge weight restrictions due to the effect of heavy trucks, the Honolulu Star Advertiser reports.
According to the news agency, Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) officials don’t expect the changes to affect passenger vehicles, but they may affect emergency vehicles, buses, and tractor trailers. Officials are coordinating with the public agencies on vehicle access to those areas, but commercial trucks should apply for an overload permit, lighten their loads, or take alternate routes.
HDOT officials say the following bridges have new, lower weight limits, although some of the weight restrictions may be removed or reduced after additional testing, analysis, or bridge repair projects:
- Nuuanu Stream Bridge, westbound on Nimitz Highway between River and Awa streets, 28-ton weight limit.
- North (lower) Poamoho Stream Bridge, on Kaukonahuna Road (Route 930) northeast of Hukilau Loop, 12-ton weight limit.
- Ninole Stream Bridge on Hawaii Belt Road (Route 11) Milepost 56.5, 13-ton weight limit. A proposed project would replace the existing deficient timber bridge to meet current design standards for roadway width, load capacity, bridge railing, and transitions and bridge approaches.
- Hilea Stream Bridge on Hawaii Belt Road (Route 11) Milepost 57.6, 13-ton weight limit. A proposed project would improve the safety and reliability of the timber bridge through rehabilitation or replacement by addressing bridge width, load capacity, bridge railing and transitions.
- Waiaka Stream Bridge on Hawaii Belt Road (Route 19) Milepost 58.8, 15-ton weight limit.
- Honokohau Stream Bridge on Kahekili Highway (Route 30) Milepost 35.8, 16-ton weight limit.
- Papanahoa Stream Bridge on Kahekili Highway (Route 30) Milepost 41.25, 15-ton weight limit.
- Makani No. 132 culvert, on Makani Road between Apana and Kaupea streets, 13-ton weight limit.
- Maliko No. 48 Bridge, on Makawao Avenue between Kokomo and Kee roads, 6-ton weight limit.
- Kaupea No. 134 Bridge, on Kaupea Street between Puia Place and Haele Place, 10-ton weight limit.
- Hanapepe River Bridge on Kaumualii Highway (Route 50) in Hanapepe Town, 34-ton weight limit. A proposed project would address bridge width, load capacity, and more to improve the safety and reliability of the bridge through rehabilitation or replacement.