With cold weather setting in, some different operating and maintenance practices may be required to keep your construction equipment and trucks running efficiently.
Papé Machinery, a dealer that represents manufacturers including John Deere, Gradall, Hitachi and Freightliner, has compiled a list of tips for winterizing equipment:
· Follow manufacturer’s recommended viscosity and lube specification guidelines.
· Use winter washer fluid solution with anti-freeze.
· Don’t let diesel engines run idle more than 10 minutes; shut the engine off to save fuel and extend the engine’s life.
· Fill the fuel tank at the end of each day to reduce condensation and water contamination in the tank.
· Use a winter fuel blend.
· Maintain a minimum fuel rating of 40 cetane. (A 50 cetane rating is preferred for temperatures of -4 degress to -20 degrees.)
· For machines equipped with auto-lube grease circuits, consult the auto-lube manufacturer for winterization tips.
· Keep RPMs low until the equipment warms up.
Use fully formulated pre-diluted antifreeze that meets manufactures specification.