Cat’s 349 and 352 excavators offer up to 45 percent more operating efficiency, up to 10 percent more fuel efficiency, and up to 15 percent less maintenance costs compared with previous F series models of the two machines, according to Cat.
The machines also reflect Cat’s nomenclature plan in which Cat is dropping letter designations as it introduces new models.
Standard on both excavators is Cat Grade with 2D, which gives operators visual guidance to grade via a touchscreen monitor to enable more accurate cuts. The system can be upgraded to Cat Grade with Advanced 2D or Cat Grade with 3D.
Other technologies available on both machines include:
- Grade Assist automates boom and bucket movements to help operators of all skill levels improve their results.
- Cat Payload provides on-the-go weighing; real-time payload estimates can be calculated without swinging to help prevent over and under loading trucks.
- Lift Assist calculates the weight of the actual load being lifted and compares it to the rated capability of the excavator. Visual and auditory alerts indicate if the machine is within a safe working range.
- E-Fence prevents the excavator from moving outside operator-defined points, helping protect the machine, underground utilities and other objects from damage.
- Cat Product Link provides machine operating data via the online VisionLink interface.
Fuel efficiency is work per unit of fuel, and the 349 does more work per unit than the 349F.
Cat’s new Smart Mode system on both machines reduces fuel consumption by matching engine and hydraulic power to digging conditions; engine speed automatically lowers when hydraulic demand decreases.
A new on-demand cooling system fan also saves fuel. Owners can opt for a reverse function to assist with cleaning debris from the cooling cores.
The main control valve of the new electrohydraulic control system eliminates the need for pilot lines, reduces pressure losses and lowers fuel consumption, Cat says. This can lead to lower oil requirements and operating costs.
Cat’s new air filter has an integrated pre-cleaner and primary and secondary filters, designed to provide double the dust-holding capacity of the previous design, says the company.
In addition, filters on the new 349 and 352 offer significant life when compared to previous offerings. The new Cat hydraulic return filter has a 3,000-hour service life, which Cat says is a 50 percent increase over previous filters. The 1,000-hour fuel service filters represent a 100 percent increase in service life over previous filters.
Grouped together at ground level are the fuel system’s water and sediment drains, along with the hydraulic system’s oil level check.
A keyless pushbutton start, large touchscreen monitor with jog dial keys for control and a sound-suppressed rollover protective structure (ROPS) come standard in both the Cat 349 and 352
The cabs also feature:
- A tilt-up console that allows easy cab entry and exit
- Viscous cab mounts that Cat says reduce vibration as much as 50% compared with previous F series models
- Bluetooth-integrated radio with USB ports for connecting and charging devices.
- Automatic climate control that maintains temperature settings regardless of ambient temperatures
- Programmable joystick buttons that enable operators to set individual preferences in control patterns and hydraulic response rates
- Standard rearview and right-hand-side cameras
In addition, owners can opt for a 360-degree-visibility package that combines images from multiple cameras to enhance the operator’s sight lines in all directions.
Long reach configuration
The Long Reach configuration available on the Cat 352 will reach out to 64 feet and dig down to 43 feet. With standard waterproof technology operators can excavate down to 15 feet. Equip the machine with an optional submarine solution and you can work down to 66 feet.
The long reach package includes a heavy duty high wide undercarriage and extra counterweight. The variable gauge undercarriage can be retracted for easier transport between jobs and extended when on the job to add stability.
Quick specs are below: