The American Institute of Steel Construction and the National Steel Bridge Alliance have announced the winners of the 2020 Prize Bridge Awards.
The nine bridges winning national awards include spans in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire and Washington.
“These projects are tributes to the creativity of the designers and the skills of the constructors who collaborated to make them reality,” says AISC President Charles J. Carter.
The national award winners are as follows:
Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, Westchester-Rockland counties, New York
- Steel fabricators: High Steel Structures LLC, Lancaster, Pa. (approach unit superstructure); Hirschfeld Industries LP, Greensboro, N.C. (approach unit superstructure); Canam-Bridges, Point of Rocks, Md. (main span superstructure); L&M Fabrication & Machine, Inc., Bath, Pa. (main span superstructure); Structural Technologies, Fort Worth, Texas (main span cable)
- Design/builder: Tappan Zee Constructors, LLC, a joint venture of: Fluor, American Bridge Company, Granite Construction Northeast, Traylor Bros., Inc.
- Engineer: HDR, New York
- Owner: New York State Thruway Authority
Sarah Mildred Long Bridge between Kittery, Maine, and Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- Fabricator: Casco Bay Steel Structures, Inc., South Portland, Maine
- Steel erector and general contractor: Cianbro, Pittsfield, Maine
- Steel detailer: Tensor Engineering, Indian Harbour Beach, Fl.
- Owners: Maine Department of Transportation, New Hampshire Department of Transportation
- Engineer: Hardesty & Hanover, LLC, New York
Manning Crevice Bridge, Riggins, Idaho
- Steel fabricators: Rule Steel, Caldwell, Idaho (structural steel); Clodfelter Bridges and Structures International, Inc., Houston (cable system and saddles)
- Steel erectors: Donahue McNamara Steel, Hailey, Idaho; Inland Crane, Inc., Boise, Idaho
- Engineers: Atkins, Denver (structural design and project management); Horrocks Engineers, Meridian, Idaho (CM/GC advisor and roadway design); Shannon & Wilson, Denver (geotechnical design)
- Contractors: RSCI Group, Boise, Idaho (construction manager and general contractor); Inland Foundation Specialties, Boise, Idaho (ground anchors and micropiles)
- Owners: U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration; Idaho Transportation Department; Idaho County, Grangeville, Idaho
Grand Avenue Bridge, Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Steel Fabricator: W&W | AFCO Steel, San Angelo, Texas
- Steel erector: Pioneer steel Inc., New Castle, Co.
- Steel detailer: abs Structural, Melbourne, Fl.
- Engineer: RS&H, Inc., Greenwood Village, Co.
- General contractor: Granite/RLW Joint Venture, Glenwood Springs, Co.
- Owner: Colorado Department of Transportation – Region 3, Grand Junction
Vine Street Expressway (I-676) reconstruction, 18th to 22nd streets, Philadelphia
- Steel fabricators and detailers: High Steel Structures LLC, Lancaster, Pa.;Williams Bridge Company, Richmond, Va.
- Steel erector: Structural Services, Inc., Bethlehem, Pa.
- Engineer: Pennoni, Philadelphia
- General contractor: Buckley & Company, Inc., Philadelphia
- Owner: Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
Andy Warhol (7th Street) Bridge, Pittsburgh
- Steel fabricator and erector: Advantage Steel and Construction, Saxonburg, Pa.
- Engineer: Michael Baker International, Moon Township, Pa.
- General contractor: Brayman Construction, Saxonburg, Pa.
- Painting contractor: Southern Road and Bridge, Tarpon Springs, Fl.
- Owner: Allegheny County Department of Public Works
BNSF Wind River Bridge, Skamania County, Washington
- Steel fabricator: Fought & Company, Inc., Tigard, Ore.
- Steel erector: Advanced American Construction, Portland, Ore.
- Steel detailer: Graphics for Steel Structures, Hicksville, N.Y.
- Engineer: HNTB, St. Louis
- General contractor: Hamilton Construction Company, Portland, Ore.
- Owner: BNSF Railway, Kansas City, Kansas
Special Award for Resilience
Liberty Bridge, Pittsburgh
- Fabricators: L.B. Foster Company, Pittsburgh; Hall Industries, Inc., Ellwood City, Pa.
- Erector: Abate Irwin, Inc., Eighty Four, Pa.
- Engineer: HDR, Pittsburgh
- GC: Fay, an i+iconUSA Company, Pittsburgh
- Detailer: Shanefelter Industries, Uniontown, Pa.
- Owner: PennDOT, Engineering District 11, Bridgeville, Pa.
Frances Appleton Pedestrian Bridge, Boston
- Steel fabricator: Newport Industrial Fabrication, Newport, Maine
- Steel erector and contractor: White/Skanska/Consigli, JV, Framingham, Mass.
- Steel castings: Cast ConneX Corporation, Toronto
- Engineer of record: STV, Boston
- Designer: Rosales + Partners, Boston
- Owner: Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation
For more about the awards and to see the Merit winners, click here.