A $70 million project to upgrade interchanges and bridges on Interstate 390 and improve access to the University of Rochester and nearby businesses in Monroe County, New York, has been completed.
The project’s goals were to increase safety and help boost the local economy. The I-390 improvements improve access to the Eastman Business Park and Rochester Technology Park, which have plans to expand the number of business tenants, according to the New York State Department of Transportation.
The last part of the project included replacing the 15A bridge over the Erie Canal. The bridge features decorative spheres and medallions representing various modes of transportation etched into the pylons.
Along with safety and business development, the NYSDOT says the improvements have improved traffic flow and reduced delays for drivers on Route 15A heading to and from work at large employers in Monroe County.
The work also included the following improvements:
- New direct connections between the expressway and Route 15 and Route 15A.
- Replacement of one bridge, rehab of another and repairs to five bridges.
- A roundabout at East River and Kendrick roads.
- Repaving in the area.
- New signs, guide rail and pavement markings.
- Replacing the highway lighting system with new LED high mast lights.