The Illinois Tollway plans to invest $922 million in capital projects in 2013, doubling the amount it spent in 2012, according to a new release issued on March 11.
This includes funding for the second year of the agency’s 15-year, $12 billion capital program, Move Illinois: The Illinois Tollway Driving the Future. These investments are expected to create or sustain more than 10,000 construction jobs throughout Northern Illinois. (Click here for an enlarged version of the Move Illinois Overview Map to the right.)
“The Illinois Tollway’s Move Illinois Program is a key part of our work to rebuild our region’s transportation network serving Northern Illinois for the 21st century,” said Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn in a written statement. “These construction projects are putting thousands of men and women to work and paving the way for more economic growth.”
In 2013, the Illinois Tollway will begin the $2.2 billion Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) Rebuilding and Widening Project, complete a new $61 million interchange at Illinois Route 47 on I-90, begin construction of the new ramps for the $719 million Tri-State Tollway (I-294)/I-57 Interchange Project and break ground on the $3.4 billion Elgin O’Hare Western Access Project. The Tollway will also invest funds to repair and maintain other parts of the existing Tollway system.
“In 2013, the Tollway is investing twice as much in roadway improvements as we did in 2012,” said Illinois Tollway Executive Director Kristi Lafleur in a written statement. “At the same time, we’re committing to make the most out of every opportunity to expand access and work with a larger and more diverse group of people and businesses than ever before.”
The Illinois Tollway will begin the 2013 construction season by hosting two public open house meetings to provide businesses, communities and customers with construction information for work scheduled to begin this spring on the I-90 Rebuilding and Widening Project.
The Illinois Tollway’s 2013 capital program includes the following:
- Investing $415.2 million on the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) corridor.
- Roadway rebuilding and widening will begin in the eastbound lanes between the Elgin Toll Plaza and I-39 in Rockford.
- Bridges on I-90 over the Kishwaukee River, Mosquito Creek, Coon Creek, U.S. Route 20, Sleepy Hollow Road and Union Pacific Railroad will be rebuilt, as well as nine local bridges that carry traffic over the Tollway.
- Interchange improvements are planned at Business U.S. Route 20/State Street in Rockford and Lee Street in Rosemont.
- Investing $26.5 million to complete the new Illinois Route 47 Interchange on the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) in Huntley. The new interchange is scheduled to open by the end of 2013.
- Six new ramps will be built with all-electronic toll plazas.
- The bridge carrying Illinois Route 47 traffic over I-90 will be rebuilt.
- Investing $66.7 million to continue construction of the new Tri-State Tollway (I-294)/I-57 Interchange in partnership with the Illinois Department of Transportation.
- New ramps will be built to carry traffic from southbound I-294 to southbound I-57 and from northbound I-57 to northbound I-294.
- A portion of Dixie Creek will be realigned to improve flow and reduce flooding.
- Investing $95.6 million to begin work on the Elgin-O’Hare Western Access (EOWA) Project.
- New bridges at Rohlwing Road on the Elgin O’Hare Expressway and at Elmhurst Road on I-90 will be constructed.
- New noisewall will be built along the Elgin O’Hare Expressway between Irving Park Road and Meacham Road.
In addition, the Illinois Tollway plans include an additional $318 million for a variety of construction, design, inspection and other capital investments systemwide, including the following:
- Repairs to pavement and bridges throughout the original segment of the Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355), as well as underpass lighting at the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88).
- Repairs to Tri-State Tollway (I-94/I-294) ramps at the I-55 Interchange, at Lake Street, at the I-190/I-90/River Road/Kennedy Expressway Interchange and at Illinois Route 120.
- Repairs to ramps on the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88) at Highland Avenue, Spring Road and York Road.
Construction work is scheduled to begin this spring.