The Endurant HD 12-speed automated manual transmission (AMT) is now available at all major North American truck manufacturers, including International, Freightliner, Volvo, Peterbilt and Kenworth.
The first product of an Eaton/Cummins joint venture, the 12-speed AMT was initially released in 2017 on select Paccar trucks. Over the last few years it has slowly spread across the industry, most recently becoming standard equipment on International on-highway trucks.
AMTs are bred from a manual gearbox. Even though the process of shifting is automated, the shift pattern isn’t changed. The first “purpose built” heavy-duty automated transmission on the market when it debuted, the Endurant features torque ratings of up to 1,850 lb.-ft. and 510 maximum horsepower.
Eaton touts the Endurant HD as offering a number of advantages over competing heavy-duty automated transmissions, including:
- Industry-exclusive transmission fluid pressure sensor
- Longest maintenance interval
- Best overall ratio coverage for low-speed maneuverability and downspeeding
“We work closely with our engine partners to deliver tailored solutions that meet their customers’ needs,” said Charles Masters, general manager, Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies. “In every case, the powertrain—the engine and transmission—is highly efficient and provides a low cost-of-ownership experience for the fleet.
Engine and transmission powertrain combinations vary by truck manufacturer:
- The Endurant HD, paired with the Cummins X15™ engine, is available in the Kenworth T680; Peterbilt 579; International LoneStar, LT ® Series and RH™ Series; Freightliner Cascadia®; and Volvo VNL.
- The Endurant HD and Cummins X12™ powertrain, one of the lightest powertrains in its class, is available in the Freightliner Cascadia.
- The Endurant HD and International® A26 engine combination is available in the International LoneStar; LT Series; and RH Series.
- The Endurant HD and Detroit™ DD13® engine powertrain is available in the Freightliner Cascadia.
The standard Endurant HD transmission warranty is 5-years/750,000 miles for linehaul commercial vehicles. The Eaton-supplied clutch is covered by a 3-year/350,000-mile warranty. One-year and two-year extended protection plans are also available. Endurant HD’s maximum operating weight (GCVW) is 110,000 lbs. and oil capacity is 16 pints (7.5L).