By Lauren Heartsill Dowdle
Use both air and water systems in McLaughlin Group’s Xtreme line vacuum excavators, marketed by Vermeer.
• Features a 1,200-cfm positive displacement blower
• Powered by a 99-horsepower Kubota diesel engine and a 5.6-gpm water system
• Produces up to 15 inches of mercury and 3,000 psi of water pressure.
Vacmasters’ System 6000 air-vacuum excavation system uses supersonic air from a proprietary nozzle to dig, trench and pothole in various soil types.
• Components are powered by an enclosed John Deere, 250-horsepower diesel engine
• Features a self-purging filtration system
• Remote operation up to 200 feet away.
Choosing the right system
With a variety of vacuum system models available, compare these features to find the one that best suits your application:
• Horsepower and torque curve of the power unit
• Type of positive displacement pump or blower used to create vacuum
• Capacity of pump or blower (in cubic feet per minute, or cfm)
• Speed and filtration of air flow through the system
• Pressure and gallons-per-minute (gpm) of water pump
• Nozzle configuration of the excavation tool
• Size and weight of the unit when empty
• Weight of the unit when holding tank is full
• Capacity of the vacuum holding tank
• Sound level during operation
• Capacity of the water supply tank on water models or dust-filtering systems on air units
Source: Ditch Witch
Perform potholing, valve box and utility vault cleanout with the Ditch Witch FX25 vacuum excavation system.
• Equipped with a 500-gallon spoils tank
• Options include 80- or 200-gallon water system with 3,000-psi water pressure
• Powered by a 31-horsepower Briggs and Stratton Vanguard gas engine.
Equipped with a single engine and a rugged reinforced steel debris tank, Vacall’s AllCatch removes debris such as wet or dry leaves, asphalt, litter, stones and rocks from roadside curbs and catch basins.
• Features a tailgate design with a hose and boom that fold against the rear of the machine
• High-capacity water system has a 600-gallon capacity with a spray wand for cleaning
• Has an AllSmartFlow CAN bus control system.