It’s only January and it looks like Ram has already tackled some new year’s resolutions.
The 2019 Ram 1500 has checked off an impressive list including cutting weight, getting a stronger frame, adding more driver-friendly tech and introducing eTorque, a mild hybrid option that will deliver more power while using less gas.
First up is weight loss. The Ram 1500 has dropped 225 pounds, 100 pounds of which was cut from the frame through the use of advanced materials and a patent-pending design change. Composed of 98 percent high-strength steel, Ram’s new backbone offers increased stiffness and durability for 12,700 pounds of towing capability and 2,300 pounds of payload.
Ram reports that despite the weight loss, the new frame on its 2019 1500 is its strongest ever. It includes the same impact countermeasures across all configurations, and is made from 98 percent high-strength steel. Exclusive front splayed frame rail technology (patent pending) creates a highly efficient energy absorbing structure for all impact modes, including front-offset with frame integration forward of front tire. Also, frame-mounted high-strength steel tire blockers are placed behind the front tires to force wheels outward in the event of impact. Additionally, side rails are taller and fully boxed.
Ram’s latest frame, which is the lightest and longest in the segment, paved the way for the most spacious cab in the segment. Three new, longer frame lengths are offered: a 144.5-inch wheelbase on Crew Cab short beds and a 153.5-inch wheelbase on Crew Cab long beds – both four inches longer than their predecessors. The Quad Cab long bed has a wheelbase of 140.5 inches. Ram’s newest pickup offers a turning radius of just 46.2 feet, curb to curb.
Other weight reductions were made by opting for aluminum in the tailgate, engine mounts, front axle center section, front suspension crossmember, transmission crossmember and steering system gear. Composite materials used in various components, such as the air dam structure, also reduced weight.
One of the most noticeable high-tech changes in the 2019 Ram 1500 is the new Uconnect 4C with a big 12-inch touchscreen featuring split-screen capability, 360-degree camera views and exclusive content from SiriusXM with 360L.
Active safety and security systems join the technology onslaught with adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, Blind-spot Monitoring and ready alert braking.
“The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 delivers a no-compromise approach to the full-size truck segment with strength, durability, technology and efficiency,” said Mike Manley, head of Ram Brand. “The Ram 1500 offers truck buyers leading-edge innovation with 225 pounds of weight reduction, 12,700 pounds of towing capability, a stunning Uconnect 12-inch touchscreen display and active systems that improve fuel efficiency and assist drivers. The Ram 1500 stands out as the benchmark in a very competitive segment.”
Ram reports that the 2019 Ram 1500 delivers significant gains in fuel efficiency with its eTorque mild hybrid system on second generation 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 and its popular 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engines, the widest use of mild hybrid technology in the segment.
eTorque combines a belt-drive motor generator unit with a 48-volt battery pack to enable start/stop function, short-term torque assist and brake energy regeneration. The mild hybrid system adds up to 90 lb.-ft. of torque to the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 and up to 130 lb.-ft. to the 5.7-liter HEMI V8.
For even greater fuel savings and an improved ride, frame-mounted active tuned mass modules (ATMM) and Active Noise Cancellation inside the cabin expand use of Fuel Saving Technology cylinder cutoff on 5.7-liter HEMI V8 and enable quiet cabin at 67.1 db.
A new generation of TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmissions provide improved efficiency with more powerful control computers.
A new electronic locking rear differential is standard on 4×4 off-road package and Rebel, available on all models.
Of course, it’s no secret that proper oil viscosity is critical to minimizing component wear. To that end, Ram’s heat exchanger system now includes an industry-first thermal axle to quickly warm rear axle gear oil, maximizing axle during warm-up.
Here’s the rundown of highlights for the 2019 1500 from Ram’s press materials:
- New Ram 1500 is the segment’s most aerodynamic pickup with .357 coefficient of drag and features exclusive active aerodynamics: grille shutters, air dam and air suspension
- All-new Frequency Response Damping (FRD) shocks deliver the best combination of ride, handling and comfort in a pickup
- Next generation, class-exclusive air suspension enhances fuel efficiency, improves ride, and gives greater off-road capability, load-leveling and entry/exit convenience
- Largest front brakes in segment at 14.9 inches and new electric parking brake
- New 4×4 Off-road Package includes suspension with one-inch lift, electronic locking rear axle, tuned shocks and Hill-descent Control
- All-new 2019 Ram 1500 delivers innovative technology with award-winning fourth-generation Uconnect system and class-exclusive, 12-inch reconfigurable touchscreen display featuring split-screen capability for dual-application operation
- All-new SiriusXM with 360L personalized listening experience with more variety, smart content, recommendations and thousands of hours of on-demand audio
- Fourth-generation Uconnect system SiriusXM Guardian Connected Services delivers advanced in-vehicle connected services, including 4G Wi-Fi hotspot capability
- The most powerful audio system ever available in a pickup, Harman Kardon audio system with 19 premium speakers, 900-watt surround sound amplifier, 10-inch subwoofer and active noise cancelation
- 360-degree Surround View Camera with bird’s-eye perspective of vehicle
- New multifunction USB ports and optional integrated wireless charging pad
- Available navigation system accommodates one-step, voice-controlled destination entry and enhanced 3-D navigation map graphics
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay enable link with Uconnect 8.4-inch and 12-inch touchscreens
- The new face of Ram includes a chiseled Ram’s head logo and “RAM” grilles
- Most dramatic differentiation between models across six distinct price classes
- All-new full LED Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), including twin bi-functional projector headlamps, fog lamps and tail lamps
- Lighter, longer and wider, including an overall cab length increase of four inches, creating the most spacious interior for additional features and passenger comfort
- Nearly 100 percent more storage capacity versus closest competitor at 151.1 liters
- First FCA application of 12-inch fully configurable touch screen includes tailor-made graphics for various Ram models
- Reimagined center console with 12 different storage configurations offers never-before-seen customization for the most active interior real estate
- Second row includes slide reclining seats to eight degrees, a true flat-load floor with integrated RamBins with tie-down rings and expandable under seat storage
- All-new switch bank with dedicated toggle switches, wireless charging dock and up to five USBs, including four type C/A ports
Safety and Security
- All-new 2019 Ram 1500 offers more than 100 safety and security features
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop, Go and Hold
- Forward Collision Warning-Plus warns the driver if impact appears imminent, and assists driver response by deploying brakes
- Ready Alert Braking and Trailer-sway Damping control
- LaneSense Lane Departure Warning-Plus alerts and assist the driver with corrective action
- ParkSense Parallel/Perpendicular Park and Hill-start Assist uses ultrasonic sensors to help the driver perform technical maneuvers