Dr. J. Don Brock, co-founder, chairman and former CEO of Astec Industries Inc., passed away March 10 in Chattanooga, Tenn. He had been previously diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer.
He was 76.
Brock co-founded Astec Industries 1972, and through his leadership guided the company to be comprised of 18 subsidiaries worldwide. He held roughly 100 construction and drying machinery and equipment patents.
In 2014, Brock’s son, Benjamin, succeeded his father as the company’s CEO. J. Don Brock continued to serve as the Executive Chairman of Astec’s board of directors.
“We announce this news with great sadness, and our thoughts and prayers are with Don’s family at this difficult time,” Vice President of Administration Stephen C. Anderson said in a statement. “Don was an inspirational leader, mentor and friend to countless customers and employees of Astec.”
Brock’s numerous industry awards included:
- National Asphalt Pavement Association “Man Of The Year”, 1983
- Chattanooga Area Engineering Societies “Engineer Of The Year”, 1984
- Chattanooga Area Engineering Societies “Inventor Of The Year”, 1988
- National Asphalt Pavement Association “Hot Mix Hall Of Fame”, 1996
- American Society of Engineering Management “Engineering Manager Of The Year”, 1996
- ATR Institute “Private Partnership Award/Transportation Science & Ethics”, 1997
- The Georgia Institute of Technology “Academy of Distinguished Engineering Alumni”, 1997
- The University of Tennessee “Dougherty Award”, 1998
- Chattanooga Manufacturers Association “Capt. C. D. Mitchell Award”, 1999
- Construction Equipment Industry “Hall Of Fame Award”, 1999
- The University of Tennessee “Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame Award”, 2000
- National Asphalt Pavement Association Research and Education Foundation “Ronald D. Kenyon Research and Education Award”, 2001
- Ontario Asphalt Pavement Association “Dr. Norman McLeod Award for Innovation”, 2003
- American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) “ARTBA Top 100 Private Sector Transportation Construction Professionals of the 20th Century”, 2004
- Ernst & Young, Hall of Fame “Entrepreneur Of The Year”, 2009
- Chattanooga Engineers Week “Engineer of the Decade”, 2010
- ARTBA “Dr. J. Don Brock TransOvation Award”; September 11, 201, (ARTBA permanently honored Dr. Brock by renaming the yearly TransOvation Award which is awarded to foster innovative thinking within the transportation industry and to publicly recognize proven innovators.)
- Asphalt Pavement Association of Indiana “Hall of Fame 2012”
- Utah Asphalt Pavement Association “Hall of Fame 2013”
- Alabama Road Builders Association “Hall of Fame 2013”
- ARTBA “Hall of Fame 2013”
- Tennessee Roadbuilders Association “Lifetime Achievement Award 2013”
- “Pit & Quarry Hall of Fame 2014”