Public and private transportation organizations from across the country were recognized for their commitment to safety at the American Road & Transportation Builders Association Transportation Development Foundation (ARTBA-TDF) eighth annual “Roadway Work Zone Safety Awareness Awards” lunch.
The award recognizes outstanding efforts to help reduce roadway work zone accidents, injuries and fatalities. The awards are divided into four categories: private outreach campaigns, government outreach programs, safety training and innovations in technology.
An independent panel of judges reviewed the entries and selected first place winners in the following categories:
- Private Outreach Programs State/Regional: Associated General Contractors of Texas (AGC), “Highway Construction Work Zone Hazards DVD Training Video”
- Private Outreach Programs Local/Municipal: Curran Contracting Company, “Work Zone Safety Driver’s Education Campaign”
- Government Outreach Programs State/Regional: California Department of Transportation (Caltrans),”Slow for the Cone Zone”
- Training Local/Municipal: Weber County Constructors, “I-15 New Ogden Weber Expansion Safety Training Program”
- Training National: American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA), “ATSSA Roadway Safety Training”
- Product Innovations in Technology, tied for first place: Transpo Industries, “SonoBlaster Dual Alert Work Zone Intrusion Alarm” and Energy Absorption Systems, “Vorteq Truck Mounted Attenuation System”