Ram has unveiled its 2019 chassis cab models, saying the lineup will boast segment-leading towing capacity and Gross Combined Weight Rating.
The 2019 Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 chassis cab trucks, which share exterior design elements with the recently unveiled 2019 Ram HD trucks, will be offered in four trim levels: Tradesman, SLT, Laramie and Limited.
They will be available with a 6.4-liter HEMI V8 or a 6.7L inline-six Cummins turbo diesel. Paired with the TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic on the 3500, and the Aisin AS66RC 6-speed transmission on the 4500 and 5500, the HEMI delivers 410 horsepower and 429 lb.ft. of torque.
The Cummins, which Ram says is 60 pounds lighter and is made from a stronger compacted graphite iron block that dampens vibrations, has 360 horsepower and a 800 lb.ft. of torque—the most available toque in Classes 4 and 5—and is paired to the Aisin AS69RC six-speed.
As an available option, the HEMI can also be paired with the AS69RC. Power Take-Off is an available option on both Aisin transmissions, on the left or right side with the AS66RC, and on the left or right side in 4×2 configurations on the AS69RC.
The trucks boast 35,220 pounds of towing capacity, a 43,000-pound GCWR and a payload of 12,510 pounds.
The four-wheel disc braking system on these trucks have been upgraded to deliver more confident braking with less driver effort, Ram says, and also has a larger ratio pedal swing. Stopping distances have decreased as well.
Available in four, cab-to-rear-axle frame lengths (60, 84, 108 and 120 inches), the frames of these trucks are 97 percent high-strength steel and feature eight separate cross members. For upfitters, the rear frame sections feature a C-channel design with a flat mounting surface. The design offers “zero component interference above the rails, making upfit and accessory design/installation easy, cost-effective and reliable. Additionally, pre-drilled holes are designed throughout the structure to route upfit lines or mount hardware related to the upfit,” according to Ram’s press materials.
The chassis cab models also feature the following new features and improvements:
- New instrument panel with improved reachability from driver’s seat.
- 12-inch UConnect 4C NAV touchscreen display in dash. Can display one app or be viewed in split screen to view multiple apps.
- New ergonomic switch bank now offering push buttons with up to five auxiliary switches, including PTO on/off.
- All trim levels feature push button start and a redesigned rotary e-shifter dial on the Hemi V8 with 8-speed transmission.
- New HVAC system with 30 percent more airflow at lower noise levels and larger front defroster vents
- New center console with 39 liters of storage space, up to 12 different storage combinations, five USB ports and two optional 115-volt, three-prong plugs
- Aluminum hood, contributing to weight reduction of 120 pounds
- Segment exclusive active and passive driver assist systems including: adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, park assist with 270-degree camera system, trailer reverse guidance and cargo view camera.
- Available in four different grille styles