Not content to let the Ram Power Wagon have the off-road-capable heavy duty pickup truck market all to itself, Ford has introduced a new package for its 2020 F-250 and F-350 that the automaker says makes these the “most capable off-road Super Duty” trucks yet.
And while the Tremor is packed with rock-crawling capability, Ford says the new Super Duty Tremor Off-Road Package won’t sacrifice the Super Duty’s stout towing and payload capacities.
The truck will be available with Ford’s 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel engine, as well as the new 7.3L gas V8. Ford hasn’t provided any engine ratings or exact towing and payload capacities just yet, but the automaker says customers can expect ratings “similar to non-Tremor models.”
It’s not officially a Super Duty Raptor, but thanks to a 2-inch front-end lift and 35-inch-diameter Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires—the largest diameter tires available on an HD pickup—Ford says the Tremor will have the best approach and departure angles of any Super Duty yet, with 31.65 degrees and 24.51 degrees, respectively.
The truck will also boast best-in-class water fording capability of 33 inches.
The truck will also feature selectable drive modes, including a new rock-crawl mode that is unique to Tremor. This mode is optimized to operate in 4×4 low and is enabled through the truck’s 10-speed transmission.
When equipped with the 7.3L V8, the Tremor has a 53:1 crawl ratio, while those equipped with the 6.7L diesel have a 44:1 crawl ratio.
And for the first time, the Super Duty gets Trail Control, a feature that first debuted on the F-150 Raptor and 2019 Ranger that functions like cruise control for off-road driving.
Here’s how the rest of the off-road upgrades break down for Super Duty Tremor trucks:
- Progressive-rate springs designed for both towing and traversing trails.
- Specially-tuned rear stabilizer bar ensures less head toss when driving through large obstacles that cause severe suspension articulation.
- Custom 1.7-inch piston twin-tube dampers are tuned for soft damping at low speeds.
- Locking rear differential with electronic shift-on-the-fly engagement.
- Dana limited-slip front differential. In certain modes, the front axle can sense when a tire has lost traction and uses the brakes to send power to the wheel with traction.
- Off-road running boards that tuck up next to the body.
- Extended-axle vent tubes.
- FX4 skid plates.
The Super Duty Tremor Off-Road package will available on F-250 and F-350 XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum trucks, and can be specified for SuperCrew trucks with a 6.75-foot box. Ford says the F-250 Tremor models will require the high-capacity trailer tow package.
The Super Duty Tremor will be available later this year when the 2020 Super Duty launches.