Stihl has announced that their popular Stihl Timbersports series has a new home at ESPNOutdoors.com. The lumberjack program, which has been viewed by millions on ESPN2, will now enjoy the added exposure of ESPN’s web coverage.
“We’re happy to welcome Stihl Timbersports to the ESPNOutdoors.com family,” says Steve Bowman, editor of the site. “At ESPNOutdoors.com we pride ourselves on providing our readers with outdoors coverage they can’t see anywhere else.”
The series is now in its 23rd year and features the best lumberjacks from around the world competing in eight separate events; spring board, stock saw, underhand chop, single buck, standing block chop, hot saw, boom run and speed climb. Each unique event is a test of strength, agility, stamina, skill and speed that competitors almost make look easy with their graceful but unrelenting chopping and sawing.
The 2008 season kicked off March 6th at the University of Florida in Gainesville with the Stihl Timbersports Collegiate Series. With the season underway, the 2008-combined Collegiate and Pro schedule will circuit around the nation with competitors vying to qualify for the World Championship, to be held this year in Oberstdorf, Germany.
Stihl Timbersports 2008 combined schedule:
· Collegiate 2 Haywood Community College, North Carolina April 12
· Collegiate 3 University of New Hampshire April 18-19
· Collegiate 4 University of Montana April 23-26
· First Round Lehi, Utah June 6-7
· Collegiate Qualifier Lehi, Utah June 6-7
· Second Round Columbus, Georgia June 27-29
· Finals Columbus, Georgia June 27-29
· World Championships Oberstdorf, Germany (TBD)