The next Nissan Titan will have a diesel option thanks to this beastly Cummins 5.0L V-8Wayne Grayson | August 20, 2013
Unlike the diesel Ram 1500 announced earlier this year, no release date for this diesel Titan was announced. However, the Titan has the bragging rights of being the first light-duty diesel with a V-8.
“Truck owners told us there’s a demand for the performance and torque of a diesel in a capable truck that doesn’t require the jump up to a heavy-duty commercial pickup,” Nissan VP Fred Diaz said in a prepared statement.
No exact numbers were given on the new engine’s capabilities other than the facts that torque will max out around 550 lb-ft while horsepower will be “more than 300.” That’s going to impress a lot of folks, especially those who have been considering the Ram 1500 diesel option whose 3.0L V-6 puts puts out 240 hp and 340 lb-ft of torque by comparison.
Nothing was said about what transmission will be paired with the new engine but one thing is for sure, the announcement is sure to at least brighten the fortunes of the Titan which has long been an also-ran in the North American full-size truck market.
Nissan says the 5.0L V-8 is in the late stages of development with the Cummins team going so far as to say that “prototype trucks powered by the Cummins engine are currently undergoing extensive on-highway testing.”
The new engines will be built at Cummins headquarters in Columbus, Indiana. The Titan will be assembled in Nissan’s Canton, Mississippi plant.
- Nissan will unveil Cummins-powered diesel Titan at Detroit Auto Show
- Behind the design: New Cummins V-8 developed for the Nissan Titan, but other medium-duty applications abound
- Report: Toyota Tundra to go diesel with same 5.0L Cummins V-8 as next-gen Nissan Titan
- Nissan, Cummins unveil Frontier Diesel Runner pickup with clear hood to show off 2.8L turbo diesel inside (PHOTOS)
- PHOTOS: This 1985 D350 SE prototype is the first Ram pickup with a Cummins diesel engine
- PHOTOS: Polaris DAGOR is the ultimate off-road military truck; could be Jeep of the 21st Century
- PHOTOS: Amazing images of subway construction in the man-made caverns below New York City
- Bob the Builder, construction's most well-known ambassador to kids, gets a makeover for a new generation