Cat inks engine development deal with Westport
| June 05, 2012 |
Natural gas engines, which have enjoyed a surge in popularity for big trucks, may soon be coming to a dozer near you.
The Vancouver Sun reported today that Caterpillar has teamed up with Westport Innovations to develop natural gas technology for off-road equipment. Cat will fund the program while the Vancouver-based Westport supplies components and products.
Westport is well known for its joint venture, natural gas engines with Cummins, which power many of today’s highway haul and vocational trucks.
In addition to new natural gas engines, Caterpillar says there is potential to retrofit existing off-road diesel engines to natural gas as well.
From our partners
At first blush, it sounds like a simple project: paint a champagne-colored…
More From: Innovations
- Wall Street tycoon wants to save the planet with attack ads, should have studied engineering instead
- Community involvement, business acumen drives Phillips Companies, one of our 2014 Contractor of the Year finalists
- UAW defeat in Chattanooga ought to be a...
- Concrete work the “sweet spot” for...
- Already break your New Year’s...
- Ken Kesey, Obamacare and you