Volvo CE’s ECR88D compact excavator wins iF product design awardWayne Grayson | March 3, 2014
Just in case award-winning design plays heavily into your buying decisions, Volvo Construction Equipment might have the compact excavator for you.
On Friday, Volvo CE was honored during a ceremony in Munich, Germany, receiving an iF product design award for the ECR88D compact excavator.
The short swing radius machine was chosen by a panel of design experts for the coveted, 60-year-old design award in the transportation design and special vehicles category. The panel’s criteria includes design quality, degree of innovation, environmental impact, functionality and safety.
Central to the ECR88D’s design is its ability to position extremely close to objects without the rear of the machine colliding with them as it swings. The machine’s narrow body and centrally positioned boom allow it to swing within its track shoe.
This year, 3,249 products from around the globe were entered to the iF judges.
- Volvo launches EC480E crawler excavator: high power, low fuel use
- Volvo launches EC250E, EC300E crawler excavators with fuel efficiency, productivity gains
- Volvo CE intros new C-Series motor graders with engine upgrades, better fuel consumption
- VIDEO: Go behind the scenes at LEGO to see how the Volvo L350F wheel loader Technic set was designed
- Volvo CE launches EC350E crawler excavator with updated controls, more fuel-efficient D13 engine