Unemployment rate for veterans at 10.9%
| May 11, 2011 |
After the successful mission by U.S. and intelligence teams to bring down Osama bin Laden, U.S. Sen. Kay R Hagan, D-N.C., expressed her concern over the nearly 11% unemployment rate for veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.
The National unemployment rate edged up to 9% in April and for the third consecutive month the economy created more than 200,000 jobs. But the unemployment rate for veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan remains unchanged at 10.9%.
The bipartisan Hire A Hero Act, introduced in February by Kay Hagan and Scott Brown, R-Mass., extends the Work Opportunity Tax Credit to include members of the National Guard and Army Reserve and make the credit permanent for veterans. This means you can get a tax credit of $2400 for every veteran, Guard or Reserve you hire in 2011.
From our partners
At first blush, it sounds like a simple project: paint a champagne-colored…
More From: Industry Briefs
- Parsons Brinckerhoff awarded contract for construction engineering and inspection services for I-4 widening in Florida
- Newmont Mining Company names Metso as supplier of the year
- Blastrac opens Greenville, S.C. location, adds Ricky Norkett and Mike Lancaster to ‘Team Blue’
- Michael F. Donnino elected to ARTBA’s executive committee
- Winners announced for student video contest on transportation issues
- Volvo Trucks names Göran Nyberg...