Unemployment rate for veterans at 10.9%
| May 11, 2011 |
After the successful mission by U.S. and intelligence teams to bring down Osama bin Laden, U.S. Sen. Kay R Hagan, D-N.C., expressed her concern over the nearly 11% unemployment rate for veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.
The National unemployment rate edged up to 9% in April and for the third consecutive month the economy created more than 200,000 jobs. But the unemployment rate for veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan remains unchanged at 10.9%.
The bipartisan Hire A Hero Act, introduced in February by Kay Hagan and Scott Brown, R-Mass., extends the Work Opportunity Tax Credit to include members of the National Guard and Army Reserve and make the credit permanent for veterans. This means you can get a tax credit of $2400 for every veteran, Guard or Reserve you hire in 2011.
From our partners
JLG will soon welcome customers and JLG equipment owners to its expanded…
More From: Industry Briefs
- Parsons Brinckerhoff awarded contract for construction engineering and inspection services for I-4 widening in Florida
- Newmont Mining Company names Metso as supplier of the year
- Blastrac opens Greenville, S.C. location, adds Ricky Norkett and Mike Lancaster to ‘Team Blue’
- Michael F. Donnino elected to ARTBA’s executive committee
- Winners announced for student video contest on transportation issues
- Volvo Trucks names Göran Nyberg...
Do you want some tips to stay safe on the job site?
Equipment World has created an entire section devoted to safety.
Here are the most recent tips we've posted: