The guys who plugged the hole in the world
| December 05, 2012 |
If you were like me you were shocked and outraged at the sight of the Macondo Deepwater Horizon oil well exploding into flames in the Gulf of Mexico just two years ago. But two additional thoughts crept into my head as the days went by:
One: How are they going to plug that thing, a mile deep spewing scalding hot crude oil at the rate of tens of thousands of gallons an hour?
Two: What poor schmuck is going to get this assignment?
The story is well told here, if you like a good engineering thriller, or just like to marvel at the engineering prowess we have here in this country.
They ought to make a movie about this one. Beats Keanu Reeves in on an out of control bus any day.
From our partners
The JLG Mobile Analyzer is a first of its kind in the…
More From: Construction Blog
- Wall Street tycoon wants to save the planet with attack ads, should have studied engineering instead
- Community involvement, business acumen drives Phillips Companies, one of our 2014 Contractor of the Year finalists
- UAW defeat in Chattanooga ought to be a...
- Concrete work the “sweet spot” for...
- Already break your New Year’s...
- Ken Kesey, Obamacare and you