Mica to outline Northeast Corridor private sector high-speed rail alternative
| May 25, 2011 |
Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman John L. Mica (R-Fla.) on Thursday will outline an alternative for a public-private partnership to develop true high-speed rail service in the nation’s Northeast Corridor (NEC).
Mica will chair a Full Committee hearing focusing on the need for private sector competition in bringing high-speed rail to the densely populated NEC, one of the most valuable transportation assets in the United States. While there is a need and great potential for high-speed rail in this congested corridor, Amtrak’s $117 billion 30-year plan to upgrade NEC service is unacceptable. Amtrak has not proven itself capable of managing large-scale projects, 30 years is too long, and the cost is much too high.
Thursday’s hearing will provide an opportunity to discuss an alternative for a public-private partnership model that relies on private sector competition to help finance, design, build, operate and maintain NEC high-speed rail services. Witnesses will include Senator Lautenberg of New Jersey; transportation policy, investment and real estate experts; and representatives of rail labor. More information about Thursday’s hearing can be found here.
WHAT: Hearing of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, U.S. Rep. John L. Mica (R-FL), Chairman: “Opening the Northeast Corridor to Private Competition for the Development of High-Speed Rail”
WHEN: 10:00 a.m., Thursday, May 26, 2011
WHERE: 2167 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
A live webcast of this hearing will be available at: http://transportation.house.gov
- U.S. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, New Jersey, Chairman, Senate Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Carlos Bonilla, Adjunct Fellow, Reason Foundation
- Ignacio Jayanti, President, Corsair Capital
- James H. Richardson, Senior Vice President, Real Estate Asset Services, Forest City Enterprises
- Michael Goetz, Executive Director, Railroad Cooperation and Education Trust
- Thomas Hart, Vice President, Governmental Affairs, U.S. High Speed Rail Association
- Edward Wytkind, President, Transportation-Trades Department, AFL-CIO
From our partners
Precision Pipeline is an excavating contractor based in Utah and known for doing high-quality, competitively priced work. Although business is…