GM announces first SAE J2807-compliant tow ratings for 2015 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra 1500
| June 20, 2014 |
With the announcement of the 2015 F-150, Ford became the final automaker to accept the SAE J2807 towing standard.
And though Toyota’s pickups have been rated according to the standard for the last three years, GM is the first domestic automaker to announce J2807-compliant tow ratings with the announcement of the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra tow ratings.
GM says both trucks will retain their 12,000-pound maximum available trailer weight rating, but the transition to the new standard means a drop in tow rating for five of the six popular Silverado configurations and two models of the Sierra.
Only the Silverado regular cab four-wheel-drive model with a 4.3-liter V-6 and 3.42 axle didn’t see a decrease, instead staying at 7,600 pounds. Just about every other model saw a decrease of 400 pounds. Below are listings of some of the popular configurations.
Despite the effect of the transition, 12 Silverado and Sierra configurations still have a towing capacity of more than 10,000 pounds. Listed below are the most powerful configurations. Each are equipped with the Max Trailering Package:
- Two-wheel drive with 5.3-liter engine, 6-foot, 6-inch box and 3.73 axle: 11,200 pounds
- Two-wheel drive with 6.2-liter engine, 6-foot, 6-inch box and 3.42 axle: 12,000 pounds
- Two-wheel-drive with 5.3-liter engine, 5-foot, 8-inch box and 3.73 axle: 11,100 pounds
- Two-wheel-drive with 6.2-liter engine, 5-foot, 8-inch box and 3.42 axle: 12,000 pounds
- Double cab with 5.3-liter engine, 6-foot, 6-inch box and 3.73 axle: 11,000 pounds
- Double cab with 6.2-liter engine, 6-foot, 6-inch box and 3.42 axle: 11,900 pounds
- Crew cab with 5.3-liter engine, 5-foot, 8-inch box and 3.73 axle: 10,900 pounds
- Crew cab with 6.2-liter engine, 5-foot, 8-inch box and 3.42 axle: 11,800 pounds
From our partners
The JLG Mobile Analyzer is a first of its kind in the…
More From: Equipment
Do you want some tips to stay safe on the job site?
Equipment World has created an entire section devoted to safety.
Here are the most recent tips we've posted: