Friday 5:05: Tony Rice, “Shady Grove”
| January 04, 2013 |
If this doesn’t set your feet to tappin’ call the undertaker.
Two hundred years ago in England this song was an angry, depressing screed. It was called Mattie’s Grove then. But our forefathers brought the melody with them over the Atlantic, lost the negativity and turned it into a wonderful, upbeat song about a young man just making his way in world and dreaming of the woman who would someday be his wife.
Alas, this is all instrumental, but they are countless vocal versions about too, if you care to look.
From our partners
JLG has just launched the world’s largest self-propelled boom lift -- the…
More From: Construction Blog
- Wall Street tycoon wants to save the planet with attack ads, should have studied engineering instead
- Community involvement, business acumen drives Phillips Companies, one of our 2014 Contractor of the Year finalists
- UAW defeat in Chattanooga ought to be a...
- Concrete work the “sweet spot” for...
- Already break your New Year’s...
- Ken Kesey, Obamacare and you