Elton Long enters Construction Equipment Hall of Fame
| November 28, 2011 |
Elton Long was inducted into the Association of Equipment Manufacturers’ Construction Equipment Hall of Fame. Long designed and manufactured the first tractor loader/backhoe integrated from the factory and warranted by a single OEM. Long lived from 1921 until 2003.
A judging board comprised of representatives and experts from major industry associations elected Long to the Construction Equipment Hall of Fame. The judging panel evaluated nominees based on the extent to which they exemplified the Hall of Fame’s five guiding principles: innovation, industry contributions, leadership, corporate citizenship and sustainability.
Long was the primary engineer responsible for designing Case Construction Equipment’s 320 loader/backhoe and has earned 46 of patents during his career. Among other Long inventions were the first hydraulic system for a construction machine that could be controlled from the operator’s seat, the first dozer blade controllable from the operator’s seat, the over-center backhoe, load stabilizers and swing mechanisms.
Long accumulated many industry honors during his career, including the Steel Founders’ Society of America “Gold Award.” He was also recognized among the industry’s 100 most significant contributors by the Equipment Manufacturers Institute (now the Association of Equipment Manufacturers) in 1994, along with fellow honoree Henry Ford.
AEM added Long to its Construction Equipment Hall of Fame at an induction ceremony in Miami, Florida, during its annual conference. For more information, visit casece.com.
From our partners
Precision Pipeline is an excavating contractor based in Utah and known for…
More From: Equipment
- Parsons Brinckerhoff awarded contract for construction engineering and inspection services for I-4 widening in Florida
- Newmont Mining Company names Metso as supplier of the year
- Blastrac opens Greenville, S.C. location, adds Ricky Norkett and Mike Lancaster to ‘Team Blue’
- Michael F. Donnino elected to ARTBA’s executive committee
- Winners announced for student video contest on transportation issues
- Volvo Trucks names Göran Nyberg...