How to Get Disaster Work

This section offers information and links to contractors wanting to perform disaster work in several declared disaster areas throughout the United States. For an explanation of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers district divisions, which administer FEMA-funded contracts, click here. Send all additions and corrections to

State, local entities

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Alabama

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Mississippi

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Missouri


Insurance Companies

State, local entities

City of Tuscaloosa

The city has contracted with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to do initial debris cleanup. The Tuscaloosa Forward website, created by the Tuscaloosa Forward Strategic Rebuilding Plan initiative, has specific information on additional cleanup and storm-response projects. The city requests any contractor desiring information related to storm debris removal to call 251-633-3540.

Tuscaloosa County and City Boards of Education

Several school reconstructions have been declared emergency public works projects, including Holt and Alberta elementary schools and University Place elementary and middle schools. Hall-Taylor Construction, Tuscaloosa, will serve as the construction manager for Holt Elementary and Harrison Construction, Tuscaloosa, will demolish select areas of University Place Elementary/Middle School. WAR Construction, Tuscaloosa, is the construction manager for the rebuilding of Alberta Elementary, which was completely destroyed in the tornado. Architects serving as programming designers for these projects are Ellis Architects, Tuscaloosa, for University Place; and WSV Architects, programming designers for Holt and Alberta.

Mississippi State

Learn about rules and regulations for contracting in Mississippi on the Mississippi State Board of Contractors’ website.
Register for a license to get commercial or residential bids in Mississippi.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Contracts–Alabama

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mobile District,, will be overseeing the debris removal for several communities across Alabama. Phillips & Jordan, Knoxville, Tennessee, is administrating these contracts for the Corps. Small businesses or independent contractors can sign up to subcontract with Phillips & Jordan at To go directly to the contractor application form:

In the future, the City of Tuscaloosa will be posting a number of bid opportunities to assist in the disaster recovery effort on its web site

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — Mississippi

Vicksburg U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Vicksburg bid information:
Vicksburg District Contracting Office:
Submit proposals to Vicksburg District Contracting Office, 4155 E. Clay Street, Vicksburg, Mississippi

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — Missouri

The Corps’ Omaha District is advertising debris removal contracts in the state of Missouri in the aftermath of May’s tornadoes. Contact the following prime contractors with the Corps to start the process to be considered for this work: URS, Weston, KBR.


For a quick review of declared disaster areas in the United States and around the world, click here.

FEMA Quick Start Process for Vendors

For an overview of the steps you’ll need to take to get registered for FEMA work, click here. (Also described below.)

FEMA Central Contractor Registration

The primary registrant database for the federal government can be found at It collects, validates, stores and disseminates data in support of agency acquisition missions. You must first register here before bidding on any FEMA work. Questions? Call 866-606-8220.

Note: You must renew this registration every year. For questions about this annual renewal process, go here.

FEMA Vendor Profile

After you have registered with the Central Contractor Registration (see above), email a request for a FEMA Vendor Profile by clicking here. Complete the profile and email it back to the same address for processing. FEMA uses this profile during disasters, forwarding the information to the appropriate contracting officers for the declared disaster area. Questions? Call 202-646-1895.


After you complete your Central Contractor Registration (see above) and FEMA Vendor Profile, search this website for federal procurement opportunities.

Federal overview information

This gives you the broad scope of contractor information.

For a full view of the federal Central Contractor Registration document, click on the above link. Chapters are listed on the left, including “Disaster Response,” under the “Getting Started” section.

Debris-removal specific FEMA contracts

Debris removal businesses should register at the Debris Removal Contracting Registry at

Additional federal information

FEMA also recommends you explore the following options, as applicable, for seeking contract opportunities with the Federal Government. The below information also provides you information in seeking state and local contracts.

Contact the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Obtain information that assists small businesses in preparing for and navigating business opportunities. Visit SBA at

Seek procurement opportunities for simple commodity buys at FedBid,

Seek Grant Opportunities. Visit

Get listed in electronic catalogs. GSA Advantage and other electronic commerce initiatives will let you list your product for government browsing.

Accept the government credit card. The government buys more than $5 billion in goods and services annually with the purchase card. Many Contracting Officers prefer the purchase card to paperwork for purchases.

Teaming and partnering. If you are strong in one business area, but inexperienced in another, find a subcontractor or teaming partner who can fill in the areas where you’re weak. The Federal government encourages teaming. Visit the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS) at FPDS provides the names of companies who have been awarded contracts, and you may reach out to these contractors for subcontractor, supplier or teaming opportunities.

Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTAC). Reach out to your state Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTAC) nearest your location. These centers offer a variety of resources that prepare you for work with the Federal Government, as well as procurement opportunities at the state and local levels. If you click on this link for the Association of PTAC, you will be able to locate the PTAC in your area.

Register with your State Procurement Office and reach out to your State Emergency Management Agency. Google to locate your state agencies or other state agencies where disasters have occurred.

Become a member of the Corps of Engineers Hurricane Contractor Registry if you are interested in performing disaster response and recovery work. Follow this link to access the websites Hurricane Contractor Registry.

Interested in donating or volunteering? Visit FEMA’s Helping Others webpage at

To become a certified National Flood Insurance Adjuster, please access this link

If you desire to extend your facility to house FEMA qualified disaster survivors, sign up on-line at using the Hotel Enrollment section. Vendor assistance call center contact information may also be found at The Call Center may also be contacted via phone 866.545.9865, via fax 866.362.0740 or via email

Persevere. Making the right connection can take time; perseverance will pay off.

Federal Flood Insurance Program

For more information, click here.

Insurance companies

According to the Insurance Information Institute, most insurance companies maintain a list of approved private contractors they then share with their policy holders in a claim situation. These approved contractor lists are not shared with the public. To get on a list, the Institute suggests that contractors call the insurance companies they are interested in and ask to be directed to the “property repair program” in the claims department. Each company will have its own requirements for insurance, bonding, etc. And this is best done before a disaster occurs — mobile insurance disaster response units are more interested in helping their policy holders than giving you the necessary paperwork to become a qualified vendor.

Some insurance company links:

State Farm