- Equipment World - http://www.equipmentworld.com -
Caltrans allocates $128 million to transportation projects
Posted By Equipment World Staff On June 11, 2009 @ 10:06 pm In Uncategorized | No Comments
The California Transportation Commission today allocated $128 million to 75 transportation projects statewide, including $36 million in economic stimulus funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, a.k.a. the stimulus.
This is good news for the construction industry. With every project that has funds obligated, it means more money will be injected into the economy and put more construction professionals to work.
According to the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), contractor’s bids have been significantly lower than expected on several Caltrans stimulus projects that received funding earlier this spring. In its ongoing effort to maximize all Recovery Act dollars coming to California, Caltrans will use the savings from these projects to fund other projects that would not have otherwise received funding, the agency said in a written statement. $25 million of the total stimulus funds allocated today were made possible through these savings.
· $11 million from the Recovery Act to install roadside fencing at various locations statewide to protect motorists from wildlife and to plant native trees and shrubs to prevent erosion and safeguard water quality.
· $11 million from the Recovery Act to install signs in Los Angeles and Ventura counties to warn vehicles of height restrictions on freeway overpasses, viaducts, grade separations, etc.
· $14 million to reduce traffic congestion and freeway noise on I-8 in El Cajon in San Diego County.
· $29 million to make safety improvements on I-110 in Los Angeles from 8th Street to the I-110/I-10 connector that eliminate the need for vehicles to weave in traffic.
“This is a great example of how effectively we are getting transportation dollars out on the street to create jobs and invest in our state’s future,” said Caltrans Director Will Kempton in a written statement.
For a comprehensive list of projects receiving stimuls funds through today’s announcement, go to www.dot.ca.gov/docs/ctcrecoveryactallocationsjune2009.pdf .
For a comprehensive list of projects slated to receive Recovery Act funding to date, go to www.dot.ca.gov/docs/recoveryactstateallocations2009.pdf .
For information about all projects that received allocations today, go to www.dot.ca.gov/docs/ctcallocationsjune2009.pdf .
Article printed from Equipment World: http://www.equipmentworld.com
URL to article: http://www.equipmentworld.com/caltrans-allocates-128-million-to-transportation-projects/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://constructionpundit.equipmentworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pic06070.jpg
 www.dot.ca.gov/docs/ctcrecoveryactallocationsjune2009.pdf: http://www.dot.ca.gov/docs/ctcrecoveryactallocationsjune2009.pdf
 www.dot.ca.gov/docs/recoveryactstateallocations2009.pdf: http://www.dot.ca.gov/docs/recoveryactstateallocations2009.pdf
 www.dot.ca.gov/docs/ctcallocationsjune2009.pdf: http://www.dot.ca.gov/docs/ctcallocationsjune2009.pdf
Copyright © 2012 Equipment World -- Development. All rights reserved.