- Equipment World - http://www.equipmentworld.com -
Beware of these 10 haunted roads in the U.S. and England
Posted By Amanda Bayhi On October 30, 2013 @ 12:55 pm In The Roadologist | No Comments
Around Halloween each year, talk of haunted sites seems to become more prevalent. Those haunted sites may involve haunted houses, haunted cemeteries, haunted asylums and more.
Of course, we can’t forget about the haunted roads.
Sure, you’ve probably heard of headless horseman that haunts the roads near Tarrytown, New York, thanks to Washington Irving’s telling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
1. The M6 in England is said to be the home of many different ghosts such as Roman soldiers, an upset hitchhiking woman and a group of miners, as well as a vehicle driving the wrong way.
2. Woodson Lateral Road in Hensley, Arkansas, is home to legends of apparitions including phantom headlights, a motorcyclist and a female hitchhiker who disappears from her seat, leaving a souvenir behind.
3. Bloodspoint Road in Boone County, Illinois, is the host to apparitions of children on the side of the road, hand marks appearing on cars, strange noises coming from the road and lights mysteriously appearing near the road.
4. The Stocksbridge Bypass on the A616 in England is a small road with many hauntings, including apparitions and voices of small children, the apparition of a monk on the bridge and many more.
5. Rock-a-Dundee Road in Hampden, Massachusetts, is said to be haunted by the ghosts of a woman with a hatchet, a young boy and a group of teenagers.
6. Clinton Road in West Milford, New Jersey, is a long road which, according to a long-time legend, is haunted by a child who is often accompanied by lights and a hellhound.
7. The A229 between Kent and Sussex, England, has birthed stories of ghost sightings of a woman in a white dress who appears in front of cars, as well as a hitchhiking man who disappears from his seat after a short distance.
8. Shades of Death Road in Warren County, New Jersey, holds legends that the spirits of a Native American group wanders the road, in addition to the shadows, ghost lights and other strange sightings have also been reported.
9. Kelly Road in Ohioville, Pennsylvania, is said to drive calm animals mad. Reports of unexplainable apparitions and noises have also come from this road.
10. Highway 191 in Utah, formerly Highway 666, has spurred stories of a phantom diesel truck on fire; apparitions of hitchhikers, unwanted passengers and a girl in a white dress; ghost lights in the sky; hellhounds; and much more. (FHWA offers more details about the history of this road .)
Granted, these roads may not actually be haunted. A long stretch of dark highway is enough to make any imagination run wild. But I do know these roads (and the stories about them) are creepy enough to keep me away.
Article printed from Equipment World: http://www.equipmentworld.com
URL to article: http://www.equipmentworld.com/beware-of-these-10-haunted-roads-in-the-u-s-and-england/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.equipmentworld.com/files/2013/10/shutterstock_137727266.jpg
 Paranormal Haze: http://www.paranormalhaze.com/the-most-haunted-roads-in-the-world/
 The Spirit Seekers: http://thespiritseekers.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/the-haunted-highways-ghosts-of-the-open-road/
 Listverse: http://listverse.com/2009/10/29/10-roads-that-will-scare-you-stupid/
 FHWA offers more details about the history of this road: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/us666.cfm
Copyright © 2012 Equipment World -- Development. All rights reserved.